Friday 23 April 2010

Garden inspiration

I’ve been inspired, the sun, the mass of seedlings on my coffee table, the bulbs that have arrived by post, this months edition of Gardens Illustrated and the Landscape Man.

The Wildside nursery gardens on the The Landscape Man (channel 4) were amazing, totally inspirational, even if the owners were bonkers! If I have that much energy at their age I’m sure my family will kill me! The natural style of planting, the drifts of flowers, use of grasses and bulbs was really inspirational. My back garden is really very small, no more than a postage stamp but to see these great swathes of plants working together was fantastic.

For myself, it would be impossible to attempt something like this, but I will look at how I make my planting more naturalistic and go from there.

What I’ve now realised is that the garden is an evolution and is not static. That’s what’s amazing, if I plant a couple of herbaceous perennials or some rhizomous plants they will collanise. If birds drop seeds they will collanise and I will have weeds or different plants and nature will take its course.

I’m going to see where this naturalistic style can take me and take my inspiration from anywhere I happen to be, a park, the side of the motorway, an urban street and see what happens. Wish me luck!

If you want to see some of the pics of the garden visit channel4.com/landscape man

1 comment:

  1. It looks amazing and like you say hard to acheive. I look forward to seeing how yours goes x

    ReplyDelete