Wednesday 14 April 2010

The big move to Bristol

Writing Workshop #20 set by sleep is for the weak. The subject is moving house.

In 2004 myself and my boyfriend of a year and I decided to move from London to Bristol. The primary reason for the move was that my OH received a job offer that he was interested in and the thought of a long distance relationship at that stage of our lives seemed ridiculous. The decision to move was an opportunity for our relationship to grow in a way that it would have taken a long time to do if we stayed in London. My London life was hectic and full of friends and family, time to ourselves was limited. Moving to Bristol definitely changed that!

The actual move to Bristol took a while, we stayed with my OHs Brother who lives here. It took 5 months to move into the house, a lovely mid-terrace Victorian house in a fantastic location a few minutes walk to a butcher, delicatessen and coffee shop. You can tell where my priorities lie!

I left behind most of my family, most of my friends and a good career. It was petrifying. After the initial excitement the realisation dawned, I understood what I had left. It’s taken about 5 years to build up a few good friends here and we learnt who our true friends are from London and what is important to us. The career I am still working on, watch this space!

Myself and OH combined our resources and ended up getting married nearly 4 years ago. If I hadn’t of made the move .. who knows. All I do know is that I definitely made the right decision. I do think about moving back, but I don’t think I could stand the traffic and commuting and I like my solitude now!

6 comments:

  1. I move that lead to a marriage, good for you for taking that step in to the unknown

    ReplyDelete
  2. A life with out risk and taking chances would be a very dull one indeed. Good for you for making a step in the dark! Glad it paid of for you both.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good for you for making the move. I come from Bristol originally - it's a great city.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my, I can completely relate to this experience. I too picked up and moved far from everything early on in my relationship with my husband. Months after our wedding, we moved 2,000 miles across the country for him to pursue his medical career. That meant saying good-bye to my friends, family and a career that I loved and was successful at.

    Like you, it has been a handful of years and we are still working towards close friends and a career path for me. But isn't it amazing to look back at how far you have come as a couple? And also the crazy adventures that life can throw at you. :)

    From one mover to another, good for you.

    I'm glad to have found your blog!

    Cheers,

    Annie
    http://bellejoie.com/

    ReplyDelete
  5. i'm always interested to see what other people are up to in bristol and i just wondered if you are on twitter? @nancyflowers

    ReplyDelete